15 Then I thought in my heart,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said in my heart,
"This too is meaningless."
16 For the wise man, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
in days to come both will be forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise man too must die!
Toil Is Meaningless17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. 19And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. 20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun.21 For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. 22What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? 23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.
24 A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, 25for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? 26 To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Heaven on Earth
Until the writeup from Our Daily Bread, I didn't know this was written by Solomon. I've read Ecclesiastes quite a few times (not a ton, as I'm still a rather young believer) & it's always something I seem to struggle with. I know that I should focus on God & not the things of this world, but how? It's definitely a good reminder for me that no matter how hard I work at anything here that I'll just end up giving it off to someone else eventually.
I have so much stuff in my home, and I still seem to acquire more. I want to go through it, to either trash it or pass it along to someone else that will get good use out of it, but why can't I just buckle down & start doing it? I also want to work just for the sake of providing; I don't want to make work an idol. I want to glorify God while I dance, not get lost in the music as much. I want to pour into peoples' lives, but not take on so much I get burnt out and do nothing.
God, please work with my heart; change my priorities such that I will make time for what You want me to do first, before anything else. I am so thankful yet overwhelmed with how much You love me. Thank You for all You have trusted me with. Please remind me that I'm here for You & You alone, not any of the stuff of this world. Show me who I should pour my life that's developed due to Your Love into. I love You so much. Amen.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
- CN being so excited & appreciative of sharing my pumpkin butter & pumpkin seeds with her.
- Many people at dance last night mentioning how noticeable it is that I've lost a lot of weight.
- Last dance rehearsal before the competition this weekend. DS is pretty impressed with how well we're doing!
- EC asking me to do strictly with him this weekend at the competition. Sooo cool how God answers prayer even when it has to do with insignificant stuff!
- Random txts from B that just made me smile.
Monday, November 09, 2009
- Being very open/honest/raw with B & him responding by being loving & consoling.
- Going for a walk with B.
- A very different church experience than what I'm used to.
- An hour of cardio at the gym with B.
- Eating breakfast at home instead of on the run.
Thursday, July 02, 2009
- sermon "the benefit of suffering" 2thess1:1-510:21 AM Jun 28th from txt
- how do i understand the problems i face if i am not in tribulation? when will the day of the Lord begin? what should i do while waiting?10:25 AM Jun 28th from txt
- pain in my life doesnt have to steal the song from my heart.10:27 AM Jun 28th from txt
- how is my faith & how is my love? the world can test both.10:36 AM Jun 28th from txt
- why must i suffer? what causes it? 1. DIRECTLY because of my faith. just cause i believe in Jesus & nothing else.10:39 AM Jun 28th from txt
- by & large our world system is not friendly to God - therefore it will hate me too...10:40 AM Jun 28th from txt
- believing in Jesus puts me at odds with the world.10:41 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 2. INDIRECTLY because of my faith. ex: not given a job due to being a Christian.10:41 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 3. because of my SIN. i do it to myself. bad attitude, behavior. i jeopardize my blessings from God. way to suffer consequences...10:43 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 4. because of someone elses SIN. no guarantee of protection from others' sins.10:45 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 5. because the world is full of SIN. God doesnt always save people from natural disasters or sickness - even the saved.10:47 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 6. because of SATAN. he likes to make my life miserable just cause im human. moreso cause i live for God.10:48 AM Jun 28th from txt
- BUT the good news is that in each case god has a PLAN! find comfort in that. rom8:28 God brings about good from every circumstance for us.10:50 AM Jun 28th from txt
- through suffering we... 1. can GROW in FAITH & trusting Him. He is more concerned with my spiritual wellbeing than my physical.10:51 AM Jun 28th from txt
- what do you do in your hurts & pains? you grow in God. get closer to Him.10:53 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 2. are ADMITTED for the KINGDOM. the harder my life is here the sweeter heaven will be.10:56 AM Jun 28th from txt
- 2cor4:17!! my pain isnt the end of the story. trouble WILL come my way; listen to Gods voice.10:57 AM Jun 28th from txt
- never waste a good crisis. let God grow me through it.10:58 AM Jun 28th from txt
Monday, June 22, 2009
- sermon "duct tape for dads" deut 6:4-1310:33 AM Jun 21st from txt
- stick to the main thing. love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, strength & soul. thats the main thing.10:35 AM Jun 21st from txt
- i have one job: love the Lord my God...10:36 AM Jun 21st from txt
- God has identified that the main thing i need to do is love Him.10:37 AM Jun 21st from txt
- Gods design is for men to lead others to love God. be His example.10:38 AM Jun 21st from txt
- i need a strong bounded love for God that others can see.10:39 AM Jun 21st from txt
- be like duct tape - strong but flexible. do it wholeheartedly. go all in!10:40 AM Jun 21st from txt
- if i value something then act like i actually do. dont just say i love Him act like it. do everything with a full heart.10:41 AM Jun 21st from txt theres no room for wimpy christianity.10:42 AM Jun 21st from txt
- live to the spirit of the law not the letter so you dont lose your passion for God.10:43 AM Jun 21st from txt
- dont be so rigid in my faith that i miss God & his plan. be flexible. God doesnt keep me from things but molds me.10:44 AM Jun 21st from txt
- my relationship with God should move & change me.10:46 AM Jun 21st from txt
- walk & talk & share my heart for God regularly.10:51 AM Jun 21st from txt
- duct tape isnt the permanent solution. therefore *i* am not the answer; He is.10:52 AM Jun 21st from txt
- God directs me & gives me my provisions. just cause i work & buy stuff none of it is mine. its all Gods.10:53 AM Jun 21st from txt
- God is the answer to every question & problem.10:55 AM Jun 21st from txt
- i was designed by God, for God, to lead people to God.10:56 AM Jun 21st from txt
- it is human nature to forget Gods commands. i need to obey Him. choose to obey.10:58 AM Jun 21st from txt
Friday, June 19, 2009
- "following the Spirit" sermon 1thess5:19-2810:25 AM Jun 14th from txt
- God is committed to me & i have to be committed to joining Him & letting Him change me.10:30 AM Jun 14th from txt
- i should not be content with staying the same. i want Him to change me to be more like Him!10:30 AM Jun 14th from txt
- the Holy Spirit is Gods main tool to mold me. i need to learn to let the Holy Spirit in.10:32 AM Jun 14th from txt
- the Holy Spirit is fully God,not just a part of God. combo with Father & Son to make the Trinity. Holy Spirit fulfills the plan of God.10:35 AM Jun 14th from txt
- Gods redemptive work began when i accepted my Savior. i have to continue it.10:36 AM Jun 14th from txt
- Holy Spirit resides in me & is with me always. God accomplishes things in this world through me with the power of the Holy Spirit!10:37 AM Jun 14th from txt
- human effort doesnt accomplish the will of God without the Holy Spirit.10:38 AM Jun 14th from txt
- i am responsible to be receptive & responding to God via the Holy Spirit to become more like Jesus. not religion with a list of dos & donts.10:41 AM Jun 14th from txt
- the Holy Spirit light the spark within me. i can fan the flame or extinguish it.10:44 AM Jun 14th from txt
- what do i want most? more of me or more of Jesus? ...duh!10:45 AM Jun 14th from txt
- i have to give Jesus all or nothing! partial just doesnt cut it...10:46 AM Jun 14th from txt
- i cant accept the Holy Spirit if i am self seeking. i have to desire God & His fruits. bad attitudes & actions are crap & push God away.10:48 AM Jun 14th from txt
- when i am empty, i can be filled.10:49 AM Jun 14th from txt
- receive Gods truth. listen, believe & accept Gods truth. dont forget to apply it!!10:51 AM Jun 14th from txt
- if a bro/sis in Christ corrects me based in His Word, do it! respond listen follow His direction. do i have that heart for God to surrender?10:53 AM Jun 14th from txt
- the Holy Spirit has a monopoly on my life!10:53 AM Jun 14th from txt
- i pray that Gods desire will become my hearts desire...11:01 AM Jun 14th from txt
Monday, June 08, 2009
- sermon: "respecting your Lord" 1thess5:12-229:29 AM Jun 7th from txt
- action AND attitude are necessary for Christ. is my motive right?10:31 AM Jun 7th from txt
- my understanding of God impacts *everything* i do10:35 AM Jun 7th from txt
- am i a joyful follower of Christ?10:38 AM Jun 7th from txt
- how can i not jump for joy at all times for all God has done is doing & will do for me?10:40 AM Jun 7th from txt
- even if my life is miserable by human standards be joyful in my God & rejoice!10:43 AM Jun 7th from txt
- see God through worldly lies10:44 AM Jun 7th from txt
- i can own nothing but have everything10:45 AM Jun 7th from txt
- no problem can sever my relationship with God!10:48 AM Jun 7th from txt
- be thankful in EVERY circumstance10:49 AM Jun 7th from txt i am called to do that!10:50 AM Jun 7th from txt
- thank God that He's already given me everything. what more do i really need to have?10:51 AM Jun 7th from txt
- how am i? better than i deserve!10:53 AM Jun 7th from txt
- i may have trouble for a moment but i will have Jesus for eternity!10:55 AM Jun 7th from txt
- be joyful & thankful always!11:00 AM Jun 7th from txt