Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Been a Long Time...

I'm really bad about updating this thing.

As I wrote that title, I had Led Zeppelin's Rock 'n Roll running through my head. That's likely attributed to the fact that I witnessed Guitar Hero for the first time on Saturday night at Julia's halfway-through-build-season party. I still haven't played. I think there are a handful of high schoolers that have some sort of interest in changing that.

So, as I looked back at my last post, I decided I should update on some of that stuff.

I still have my job. I made it through a year of working with that guy that I didn't get along with too well. I've started a new job within the company -- I like the work & the people so much better. I'm scheduled to move tomorrow, and my phone already moved, so it's hard working on stuff but not being able to call people about it, hence the distraction of updating. I don't know how long I'll be doing that, though, as "staffing will be very dynamic for the beginning of the year." Oh, but apparently, there's plenty of work out there.

I finished the classes I'd signed up for. Supposedly, I completed my Graduate Certificate, but I haven't gotten anything in the mail about it -- since August. Still up in the air about taking 5 more classes to get my Masters degree. I got accepted to WPI to do it, but I haven't taken any classed beyond the certificate. Not too worried about it at this point. If God wants me to do it, things will happen to make it obvious.

I'm in the middle of FIRST season right now. The kids have had a driving chassis for more than a week. More parts are scheduled to show up rather soon, and the goal is to have a completely working robot one week from today. That gives almost two weeks for debugging & driver practice. I'm quite excited about it! The kids seem to be as well!

I went to Swing Diego this year. I had an absolute blast! It was a much needed break from life, work & robots. I'm even more excited that it's moving to May for 2008 -- now I won't need to tear myself away from robots & feel guilty about it. Competition-wise, I didn't do so well, but I expected that, being west of the Mississippi & all. Dance-wise, I had a blast, but didn't dance as much as I could have. It was weird, when I was packing to go home Sunday night (I need to remember to wait to leave on Mondays so the weekend doesn't feel so cut short), I felt like I was just arriving, not leaving to head home. Church-wise, Geoff had a cool sermon on Sunday; it was similar to some stuff I'd heard a few weeks prior at my church. And Benji did a dollar dance to donate to D.E.M.A.N.D. -- which I made sure to do.

I just signed up to get certified for teaching WCS with Robert Royston. It's called PDIA & it seems rather neat. Now I've just got to start teaching at some point... I want to, there's just this thing called time that I've been lacking.

Tim & I are still together. He's working through some growing pains. Can you believe it's been more than two years? It's crazy. Oh, his older brother has their 4th child on the way. His younger brother has their 1st child on the way. Crazy baby action!

So that's a lot of where I'm at right now. I'm sure I missed a lot of it, but that's alright. I'm sure I'll update this thing again some time in the next year. ;)

No comments: