Thursday, February 23, 2006

Distracted by Life.

My life has been interesting as of late. By interesting, I mean really full. Luckily, my life is going to slow down a bit now that the high schoolers on the FIRST team have finished building their robot, as of late Monday night.


Pretty sexy, eh? Well, I have yet to find out. The kids haven't had a chance to test it as a full system yet, only subsystems. Their competition is coming up in a mere week & the robot is out of their hands. Fortunately, someone else will be running the show & not me, for once. There is quite a bit of tension between the software & mechanical groups, with one particularly negative software student that will still be with the team for 2 years.

Anyway, I'm not going to much of the competition. It's Thursday through Saturday, but I'll only be going Saturday. Conveniently, I have a final for my class with a horrid professor the Monday after the competition. As this is the case, on Thursday I'll be working, studying & seeing the wonderful man in my life. Friday, I'm taking the day off from work so I can study. Saturday, I'm going to the competition & taking part in the team festivities afterwards at Ground Round. It will be a good & much needed break from studying. The difficult part will be parting ways with my boyfriend afterwards.

The good thing is that I'll get to see my boyfriend here & there starting Thursday night of next week. I'll also get to see him this weekend 'cause I'm finally getting to go out dancing this Saturday, which happens to be all of a half hour from his parents' house. I find it a rather good excuse to convince him to visit his parents so we can hang out with his younger brother & fiancee. I look forward to both weekends, but I fear that I won't get enough work done. Hopefully I can get enough done ahead of time so I can lose track of time while with him.

Okay, so with being mostly done with the robot, I can finally dance more, as I mentioned briefly. I'll still have grad school, which is a lot of work, but now I can get my regular homework schedule back. I'll be going to Boston Tea Party at the end of the month, for free 'cause I won a local J&J at the end of last year with my wonderful friend Kevin. With the event only being a month away, I've taken a look in the mirror & at a scale. When I went to the doctor for a physical for the first time in a couple years, I was told that I was a bit overweight, but not in the obese category yet. Well, FIRST season means I don't dance as frequently or eat as well as I should, so since then, I've put on even more weight. With BTP coming, I'm a bit more worried about my weight & how I look 'cause I'll be seeing people I haven't seen in quite a long time. The first step is dancing more. I'd like to go at least twice a week 'cause it's a blast. The other part is that I'm hoping to go to the YMCA & swim at least every other day to start getting my weight down. I don't really want to have to buy new clothes that actually wear well on me for BTP, but if I have to, I will.

So, robots are practically done for now. Grad school continues. Bring back the dancing & bring in the swimming. My last Bible study is tonight & I'm sad that it will be ending. My friend Geoffrey from Cali is doing a 400 mile walk to raise funds for children in Kenya, so I've been helping him out with that quite a bit & have been spending way too much time on mySpace to do so.

I'm supposed to be working, but I've been so distracted by everything in my life that I've had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning & staying focused while I'm here -- as if you couldn't tell.

No comments: